My previous post provided some ideas on making money with Amazon as related to using a website. This post extends the thought to using a Blog for your Amazon Affiliate business.
Keep in mind that the terms Amazon Affiliate and Amazon Associate refer to the same program.
1. Set up your blog – Why a blog, you ask? Because it will provide the necessary structure to make it easy for you to run an effective site and easily post new content. WordPress and Blogger are the most popular blog platforms. Both are free, easy to use, have many themes available and both provide hosting for your blogs. There are great differences in the two blog platforms as well.
WordPress allows a user to download a version of their blog software and install it on their own domain. This may be beneficial to some bloggers who want more control over their blog look and feel. You can certainly have more control than when WordPress hosts your blog.
Blogger is hosted by Google, but in my opinion, their hosted blog gives the user much more control than a WordPress hosted blog. I have used both WordPress (hosted) and Blogger for some time. I prefer Blogger as it allows me to change the layout, themes and insert HTML code for about any type of layout. If you aren't comfortable with using HTML, this may not be as useful to you.
2. Make it look good – One of the perks to WordPress and Blogger is all the templates that you have to choose from. In addition to the hundreds of free themes, there are hundreds of themes you can buy. Pick a theme that looks good, ties to your niche, has the layout you want (header, columns, footer, etc), and offers what you want to be able to do in terms of tools.
3. Create your categories – Your blog software should allow you to setup categories that help you to organize your entries so it is easier for your visitors to find what it is they are interested in reading. For example, a dog training site might have a number of categories such as training, dog food, dog collars, etc.
In Blogger, in addition to categories, I set up a tabbed Index Page (using HTML), which allows the visitors to see and select from a list all of the Post's index. You can add these types of features at a later time. Below is a sample screen shot of one of my blogs Index Tab and list:
4. Become an Amazon Associate – Now that you have selected your niche, domain, and web host, you are now ready to apply to Amazon to become an Affiliate. The sign up is simple, and it’s free. Just go to the Amazon site and click the ‘Join Now for Free’ button. You’ll want to have your site set up – at least the basics, with some content, as they are going to review your site before they accept you as an Associate. This may take a few days before you get the approval.
Once you get the approval, then you will be eligible to start posting links to Amazon products as shown in the rest of this post.
5. Create the blog posting links – There are different ways to create your links. You can use the tools offered by your blog software, but the easiest way is using the Amazon Build A Link tool. Amazon provides good instruction on how to go about building your different type links.
Log into your Associate page, and find the product you want to review. Build your personalized link which will contain your Associate ID. There are a number of options for link building but most marketers would tell you that the text links are more effective than banner/graphic links.
6. It’s time to blog – The time has come to write your blog review and post it. You will insert your link code to the product on your Amazon site (created above) that you are writing the review for. You will want to include a number of reviews with good content.
7. Promote your website/blog – Make sure you take time to promote your website/blog. There are all kinds of online communities that can help you do this, as well as social media, directories, etc. Also, there are many way to promote a product with both free and paid advertising (perhaps a future Post). The more exposure of your product offering has more chances of making a sale!
We have provided some step-by-step ideas on "How to make money with Amazon" with both website and blog.
You are now ready to start making money with your Amazon affiliate program. So what are you waiting for?