I suggest the most successful approach is for you to feature products that best match your site's content and the interests of your visitors. For example, if your site is about Cajun cooking, you might want to promote the book Prime Time Emeril: More TV Dinners from America's Favorite Chef.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when selecting Amazon products:
- Select products that match your site content. Narrow your picks by searching on Amazon.com for specific products, keywords, and categories that match the topic of your Web site. View your results first by product line, and then sort by other criteria, e.g., sales rank or average customer review.
- Consider product cross-merchandising. Many of your visitors have an interest in a wide variety of products. Take advantage of this by promoting items from across the broad Amazon.com catalog, thereby capturing more sales. For example, if you're already featuring a best-selling cookbook on your site, you should think about increasing your sales by featuring other relevant products, like small kitchen appliances and cooking utensils. I recently created a Cooking site to promote Amazon products I selected, which are related to cooking. If interested, go to Cooking & Grilling.
- Discover additional products to feature using Amazon's similarities service. On the detail page of a product you've already identified as appropriate for your site, click the "Explore Similar Items" link to find more. For example, customers who bought Prime Time Emeril: More TV Dinners From America's Favorite Chef also bought the Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater--a great product to feature on a cooking site!
- Review your Orders Reports to find out what products customers purchase after visiting your site. Once a customer clicks a product link on your site and goes to Amazon, they may buy an item not featured on your site. You will still get an advertising fee for that sale, but analyzing the report information for additional items may convince you to promote some of these products directly.
- Try promoting higher-priced products. Featuring a range of price points gives you the chance to make higher commissions.
If this post has been helpful to you, leave us a comment below.
Watch for our next Marketing Tips post.